Tuesday, April 19, 2005

So the Proust quote I mentioned before:
In reality, every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what, without this book, he would perhaps never have experienced in himself. And the recognition by the reader in his own self of what the book says is proof of its veracity.

There you go then.
So I'm currently reading "How Proust can change your life" by Alain De Botton, and have just finished "The consolations of philosophy", also by De Botton.

Both are brilliant books, for some reason saying "very good" seems like I'm complementing a child. Which would be rather ironic seeing as it is I with the 5 year olds grasp of English, both written and spoken.

Bollocks there was some point to all of this a while back. Ahh yes, the Proust quote, that is now my excuse for day dreaming while reading a book, and not remembering three quarters of it. Nothing to do with an appalling memory.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So, are you ploughing through Proust?
Life changing at snail's pace (but then again, I suppose that is how we live our lives).

Jono said...

At the moment only De Botton's book about him, I'll read a few other books before embarking on In Search of Lost Time.